Forum home The potting shed

At what stage do you decide enough is enough ?

Today I have decided to dump 3 of my much loved and much travelled plants.  2 Citrus which have been with me for nearly 30 years and a Dicksonia Antarctica which is just a couple of years older.  
My main reason is that I no longer have the type of garden which enables me to grow these properly without a lot of effort to ensure their wellbeing. The D antarctica has never performed well - a small specimen which remained that way. 
I feel bad about losing what have almost become family members but my loppers and I decided  the time had come.
Anyone else suffering from a guilt trip ? :(
This isn't a moral question BTW  :D

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,122
    I'm much more ruthless than I used to be. \if it doesn't perform or I don't like it then it's gone. I've just issued a final warning to some of those Otto something Laurels
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,485
    I must admit I didn't issue a Final Warning - had to be instant for these 3 or I know I'd have backed down and it would have been another year - or 2  :D  
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,150
    I can't even throw out clothes I haven't worn for years!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,963
    Poor Phillippa.. that's pretty tough, 30+ years is a meaningful time.  I feel terrible guilt tossing 'extra' windowsill grown seedlings on the compost, and I've only coddled them for a few weeks.  
    Utah, USA.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 383
    edited April 2018
    I feel for you. I'm the same as Blue Onion - feel guilty tossing weak or excess seedlings away. Two years ago we had to cut down a Worcester apple tree that had terrible scab. We both felt miserable and last week, when I had to dig a hole for the Amelanchier that's replaced it, I apologised to the Worcester again as I cut out the last of its roots :(
    Thanks to all for your comments/commiserations.
    At least I still have my Cycad - another aged beauty ( grown from seed in 1983 ) and less effort if I watch out for him in winter.
    Like some of you, I normally avoid throwing plants out but I must be on a roll this year (or have become sensible ? ) as a number of my Cymbidium Orchids have also gone to the Great Compost Heap In The Sky.
    Mumbled apologies as I walk around the garden and GH here are becoming commonplace :/  
  • I thought it would be unkind to take my beloved Bonsai to Spain,so my daughter promised to care for them,with all my instructions.
    However she forgot to water them,and they are now no more! How I wish I'd taken them with me!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing Cagzo  :/ Just rarely on offer when you need it.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,998
    If you have something like Freecycle in your area you could give them away and maybe someone else would get some pleasure from them.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings