Forum home Problem solving

How to get rid of Three Cornered Garlic

I was given this as a 'lovely little ground cover with delicate white flowers'. The only trouble is it spreads like wildfire, smothers everything else out and makes my entire, very small garden, smell of garlic! I've tried digging, hoeing and roundup but it just keeps coming back. Any suggestions please.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    We've got Allium triquetrum ... Three Cornered garlic ... just about keeping it under control ... don't let it seed.

It's not Ramsons which is Allium ursinum ... the true wild garlic ... but you can eat both of them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    I have both.  Brought some allium ursinus - ail des ours or bear garlic in French - from Belgium because the friend who gave it me makes fabulous pesto and garlic mayo with it and then, when doing those boxes for the plant fair, someone had brought the 3 cornered stuff which I'd seen on Saturday Kitchen a few weeks ago so I bought a pot yesterday at the plant fair.   

I shall be careful where I plant the new stuff as nobody here recognises my ursinum so this new one is clearly better suited to conditions here.  There are a few places it can be allowed to run rampant in relative safety for my future plans.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    Thought I'd check the RHS site about where best to grow mine but the advice is centred on how to control and get rid or ursinum.  I dare say the advice would apply to the 3 cornered garlic too - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=384

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw