Forum home Problem solving

How do I improve my lawn?

When is the best time of year to undertake remedial work?  I need to even out the bumps and hollows, dig out the coarse grasses, seed the bald patches and feed it all. 

How often should I scarify?  Every time I mow, or less often?  And is scarifying best done immediately after mowing, or is it better to leave an interval?  How long?

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,144
    I use an electric rake to scarify, (my body won't allow me to use a hand rake ) in the autumn and spring.  If the grass is long I cut it first then scarify, then run the mower over again, (on the same setting ) to pick up any bits that are still laying on the grass. 

I have just filled in a couple of dips by adding a layer of potting compost in the dip flattening it down, seeding it then treading the seeds in to the compost. The grass already there grows through as well. 

Others will probably be throwing their hands in the air in horror but it works for me. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    edited April 2018
    Scarify as above. I normally do it every year or every second year with an electric scarifier and then mow to pick up the moss, as above.
    And do your bumps and hollows now. Or if like me and you do things when the notion takes - any time from now til September! After that it is too cold for the seed to 'take'. 
    And feed now as well. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller