Forum home Problem solving

Fatsia japonica drooping

Hi. We have an established fatsia japonica and some of the leaves are drooping badly. It flowered for the first time late last year and we got hit by snow quite a bit a month back. One branch in particular is affected, but some other parts are also affected. Thanks. 

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,226
    Has this been answered on another thread?
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Leave the leaves and be patient. In the cold weather they can droop like that and take a while to recover. I would only recommend you prune them off if there are obvious disease or browning or rotting on the leaves. They normally recover once the weather starts to warm up.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    Mine always look pretty rough after the winter, but they recover and come away again. I always have old foliage to take off. They're much more resilient then most people realise.
    One thing that's important to do if you get snow is to knock that off them [as with any evergreen] to prevent stems breaking. An inch or so now and again won't do any damage, but if you get regular falls of 3, 4, 5 inches or more as we do here, it's good to remove it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately, my darling wife decided to chop off one of the worst effected branches (!) , but the other one is perking up very well now.
    Sorry for asking a question that might have been asked before... I couldn't see a search function on the mobile website. Cheers all. 
  • alwaysinthegardenalwaysinthegarden GravesendPosts: 12
    I cut mine down to the ground in March and its now starting to romp away again. The reason it was pruned was because it had grown ten foot tall and all the growth was at the top.
    A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I see this is an old post  but the info has made me more  optimistic. 

(When I had my first Geranium Rozanne, and I was worrying it had died over winter. I thought it was dead. and someone reassured me.)

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'