Bee question

B3B3 Posts: 10,019
I was watching the bees visiting the pulmonaria in my garden today, and noticed that they spent very little time on each individual flower.
We're they searching for one that hadn't been visited before or can one flower service multiple bees?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,372
    I've read that a flower takes 20 mins to reload pollen for the next bee. I'm sure it depends on the flower, time of year etc.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,019
    I didn't know they could reload. Will have to read up on that. Thanks Fire
    edited April 2018
    I am to find a reputable link to find out more....
    They all looked a bit too technical for me. Hope you find something :)
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 933
    I like the idea of flowers reloading Fire. I can imagine little puffs like gun powder, and the next bee waiting for it 😀. 
    SW Scotland
    edited April 2018
    I was fascinated to read the article about reloading, but I can't find it now. I think it was part of the BBC programme 'the Wonder of Bees'. I had never thought about how long it would take and how the bees know. This is an interesting study on the means bees use.
    Fire, that was really interesting - and I understood it :) . I didn't realise that the red print  was a link until i  'clicked' it by accident!
    Apparently some plants can alter their pollen presentation schedule by 'sequential dehiscence' of the anther (that is, anther lobes opening over time)  or by other time release mechanisms. These can ensure a continuous release of pollen over a season.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    What do bees do with pollen?  I know nectar becomes honey (or bee vomit, as my sons like to call it on their toast), and I know they collect pollen in their pollen baskets.. but for what?  Eating I assume?  
    Utah, USA.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,044
    Bees do eat the pollen. It is their protein source.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable