Forum home Plants

Growing Ivy faster ... Fertilizer

Hi:

I had beautiful 25 year old trimmed ivy growing on and completely covering my fence. The fence fell down this winter. The ivy had to be fully cut back to just above the ground. There are about 7 stumps left. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to grow back and cover the new fence which is 8' high and 42' long. 

Also, I was thinking about using Bandini Pro Choice 15 15 15 as a fertilizer so the vines will grow back faster. I'm worried about using too much in a single does or using it too often (monthly or bi-weekly).

I have photos but don't see how to attach them. The old ivy is green year round. Can you tell me what kind of ivy it is and how to get it to grow back quickly? There are only a few green leaves left. The rest are stumps and old dead branches ... but stumps and roots are undisturbed.

Thanks for your time.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    Hi Paris  :)

Re attaching photos ... you'll see a toolbar of icons above the text box ... choose the one with the landscape format and you'll get instructions to upload photos.  :)

Are you in the US?  Most of us are in the UK and I don't know the fertilizer Bandini.  However, you should adhere to the instructions on the pack re dosage and frequency as over use can harm rather than help your plants. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,424
    I was just going to say start with the camera icon for photos, then noticed there is no camera icon. 
    If you use the fertilizer according to the instructions on the packet all will be well

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    Snap again Nut!  :)

The camera icon has been replaced by the landscape picture  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• U.K. That's great. I think the ivy is English! I'm in Sacramento California. Here are some photos. The photo is representative of what the 42 feet (13 meters) ... where the ivy used to be ... now looks like. It will only let me post this photo. I think they're too large. 

• This is another photo that shows the new fence. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take for the ivy to cover the fence and how to make it grow more quickly? In the picture you can see some of the old ivy to the left. Also, you can see how the old ivy was cut to the stumps below the fence. There are about 7 stumps left. Thanks  Thanks

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    That looks a lovely fence. I'll tell you the old adage regarding ivy:
    First year it sleeps
    Second year it creeps
    Third year it leaps!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Daisy33Daisy33 Posts: 1,031
    That same adage applies to clematis. which is a lovely climber.
    /don't mind me...I am the ivy loather. >:)