Evergreen plants in containers

Hello,
I have a terrace to my flat. It is 30f long by 12ft.wide. My south view is onto a brick wall of the next flat, whilst the terrace is open on an East to West aspect. It can be quite windy but I do get a lot of sun apart from the base of the North facing brick wall.
I would like to screen the E and W ends of the terrace but can only use containers.
Any suggestions?
Anna
Anna

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,088
    I suggest Olive trees, they seldom get damage from the wind. I have a similar situation as yours and have countless plants that have been given the term "tough as old boots" to die on me, so when it comes to wind, you cannot underestimate what long-term wind can do to plants.

If weight is of no concern, I recommend Arbutus Unedo. The Strawberry Tree. Very tough tree/shrub and lovely evergreen leaves and flowers followed by fruit the year after. Stiff stems and tough leathery leaves. 

Small leaf plants like Rosemary and Lavender will do fine too. Low growing plants like Erigeron Karvinskianus, Thyme and Armeria, the sea thrift will do fine too. Eryngium and Grasses like the leatherleaf sedge are also fine in windy and sunny locations. 
  • Thomasina123Thomasina123 DorsetPosts: 14
    Thanks Borderline. I will certainly look at your suggestions. Am very grateful for your advice.
    Anna
  • Thomasina123Thomasina123 DorsetPosts: 14
    Borderline, will Arbutus Unedo survive in a container? I do like the look of this tree.
    Anna
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,088
    Artbutus Unedo can survive in a container and there is one called Compacta so grows a lot slower and far more smaller. I have grown this shrub for years in a container. It is far more slower growing in a container, but I do recommend you are generous with the container size. Use a loam-based compost and top dress with compost every year.