Forum home Problem solving

Is my Acer still alive?

Last Autumn I transplanted an Acer from its pot to the ground( it was very potbound and the leaves were beginning to curl up and die prematurely. It is approximately 1.25m in height and spread. It had small buds all through winter but none of these buds have come into leaf and are now dropping off. If I scratch a branch it is green underneath but some of the ends of the twigs are dry and dead. Is it worth keeping it until next spring to see if it recovers and is there anything else I can do to revive it such as pruning back, feeding, extra watering etc.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    We need to see a picture, to be better able to help, but I think it is too early to condemn it. Several of my Acers are still at the bud stage. 
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Thanks for the reply, like the Neil Young reference although not sure how it relates to my Acer- I haven't been feeding it any untoward substances!
    Anyway here are some pictures.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899
    All mine are in leaf now.  Where are you.  P'doc is much further north than me.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I would keep in situ for a full year and watch what happens. The long winter has played merry hell with some plants. It might well come right. By July I imagine you'll have a much clearer idea of where it's at.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,841
    My red ones are coming into leaf but the green leaved ones are behind. The white tips are dead  and can be snapped off with finger & thumb but the rest is probably ok. Be patient a while longer. 
    AB Still learning

• Thanks to all for your help. It is a red leafed one- I will keep it for a year as suggested and hope for the best.