Forum home Problem solving

Marestail

I have got rid of marestail/horsetails from my garden. I posted last year that I had covered it all with garden lime and it has all gone. I was told by someone to wait to see in spring . Well spring is here and no marestail. I bought the lime from Wilco. I hope this helps .I've tried for years to get rid of it and am thrilled it's finally gone. My garden was covered in it every year. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,574
    How much lime did you use? My marestail is only just showing right now. But it covers close to an acre and it's in the neighbouring fields so no way to irradiate it but would love such an easy way to keep it down
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    Sorry to be negative, but it is a bit early to say you have got rid of it.
    I hope you are right though.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • valmacvalmac Posts: 3
    I used 1 box on my front garden. You would need a few boxes unless you can buy in bulk it would be expensive.
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
    My mum cleared a terrible infestation of marestail by laying her front garden to lawn. Many things things can't withstand being mown short all season as grass can. I can't recall if she left it for 2 years or more, but the marestail disappeared after one season. She just left it for longer to be on the safe side. It never came back when the lawn was dug up and replanted, and that was at least 20 years ago. It is a drastic measure of course, but in a very bad case, it's worth a go. 
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake.