Forum home Garden design

Raised sleeper beds

• Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    I had a raised bed made for me last year and they leveled the ground and added a thick layer of chippings/grit at the bottom and layed the wood onto that. The grit helps with drainage as the ground used to get so wet and now I can grow lots of lovely bedding plants that would never survive in thick wet clay. I'm considering a smaller version on the other side of the garden. Much easier to garden with a higher bed too! I was told that the sleepers should last at least 10-15years if not more! He had one in his own garden that was 20years old and still going strong!! 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,089
    Beautiful cosmos and sweetpeas. It's what I hope mine will look like this summer. Assuming we have a summer. I was wondering if you can over-winter sweetpeas planted in March.
    Not sure but you can sow them in autumn and over winter them. I also sow more in march as a back up plan. This year I've got so many sweet peas and cosmos to go in that I don't know how i'lI fit them in but sometimes the slugs munch a few if the weather is bad! 
    I planted March but they are growing so slowly, it looks they'll be ready for next summer. :)

These two photos sowed mid march and doing just as well as the autumn sown one. I kept these on my window sill until they had at least two pairs of true leaves and pricked them out before putting in the cold frame. 

There were Others I sowed early April that are still struggling, i put them outside soon after shoots appeared,  we live in hope for the sunshine to get everything going!!!
    You're rubbing it in. :| 
    Ah, no I would never do that. If you lived near I'd give you some though. I'm sure yours will  perk up once our weather decides it's actually spring!! 
    I'm joshing. Just going though a seed sulk. It's not my year for seeds. I've ordered ridiculous amounts of clematis instead,
    😜 well you'll probably do better with your clematis seeds than me as I can't keep clematis alive even when they're bought a fully grown plant. 
  • pdolinajpdolinaj London, UKPosts: 50
    Nollie said:
    pdolinaj said:
    What is the best way to lay the sleepers - on the narrow side (vertically) or on the wide side (flat)? Would there be any benefit by laying them flat to prolong their lifespan? Would putting some plastic protective membrane inside make sense to prolong their life? Thank you.
    I don’t think there isn’t right or wrong way - if you need more planting depth, are short of space or the bed is quite narrow (where laying horizontally might look too chunky in proportion to the amount of plants) I would lay vertically. If you have the space and it’s a generous width bed, it might look better with the sleepers laid horizontally.

If the sleepers are old ones treated with tar or some noxious chemical might be better to line the sides but they are usually robust enough to get away without a liner - personal choice really.

If you are laying a series of beds, remember to leave generous space inbetween, enough to turn a wheelbarrow or at least get one along there and around the corners.
    Thank you for the reply. We plan to get brand new OAK sleepers - I believe they are just water pressure treated and I don't want to apply any nasty chemicals on them. I just want to prolong their lifespan as much as possible so was just wondering whether the orientation how you lay them makes a difference or adding that membrane makes any difference. Many thanks.