Forum home Garden design

Raised sleeper beds

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,103
    I am very pleased with our raised beds, put in last year. They’re 8’ x 4’ and one is 4’ x 4’ containing the sweet peas.

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,050
    @Picidae what are the small upside down hooks for? 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,740
    Pauline 7 said:
    @Picidae what are the small upside down hooks for? 
    Holding netting down over those hoops I imagine.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    Thanks 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,576
    Full scale raised beds from old sleepers will outlast most of us, I would have thought.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,103
    Pauline, the hooks are indeed for anchoring bird deterrent netting. I put in far too many! As the hooks only cost about 50p on eBay I thought I would make use of them.
    Thank you 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    I have a double height, narrow side on sleeper bed that’s about 4.5m long. I dug out a bit to anchor the bottom and laid gravel underneath to aid drainage. Held together with internal L brackets at the corners and screwed together where one sleeper rests on the other or meets the other end to end with internal flat plates. Seems pretty solid...
  • pdolinajpdolinaj London, UKPosts: 50
    What is the best way to lay the sleepers - on the narrow side (vertically) or on the wide side (flat)? Would there be any benefit by laying them flat to prolong their lifespan? Would putting some plastic protective membrane inside make sense to prolong their life? Thank you.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    pdolinaj said:
    What is the best way to lay the sleepers - on the narrow side (vertically) or on the wide side (flat)? Would there be any benefit by laying them flat to prolong their lifespan? Would putting some plastic protective membrane inside make sense to prolong their life? Thank you.
    I don’t think there isn’t right or wrong way - if you need more planting depth, are short of space or the bed is quite narrow (where laying horizontally might look too chunky in proportion to the amount of plants) I would lay vertically. If you have the space and it’s a generous width bed, it might look better with the sleepers laid horizontally.

If the sleepers are old ones treated with tar or some noxious chemical might be better to line the sides but they are usually robust enough to get away without a liner - personal choice really.

If you are laying a series of beds, remember to leave generous space inbetween, enough to turn a wheelbarrow or at least get one along there and around the corners.