Forum home Plants

Hellebore seed pods

Eileen107Eileen107 Posts: 80
a couple of my hellebore plants have produced seed pods. Can anyone tell me what I can do with these & when. They are green & new at the moment.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    I leave them, they scatter their seeds and later on, when I find the seedlings growing I move them around to where I want them, or pot them up and give them to friends. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873
    If you put a paper or greaseproof bag over them(not plastic), when the seedpods pop, the seeds will drop into the bag. Sow immediately into gritty compost and leave in a shady place outside. They will germinate next spring.
    Or do as dove says, it is easier.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I certainly found, even on heavy clay, that there was a much better germination rate when I let the plant scatter its own seed than when I carefully collected it and cossetted it!
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I have crossed two of my hellebores hoping to get a new one from the seeds. Carol klein did it on GW tv show so i thought I'd have a go.

OP you can also wait until the seeds are dark brown and ripe then sow them in a pot and see what you get.