Forum home Problem solving

Laying new turf advice

Hi all, 
I am in the process of getting my garden ready to lay new turf. What’s the best base to use?
I have had to dig 12 inch clay out and have replaced with soil. Am I best to get a fine top soil prior to turf or lay a little sharp sand prior? And what’s best fert to lay before turf? Garden is 50m2 Thanks in advance

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    I have never used sand, or top soil for turf, or any kind of feed,just make sure it is nice and level, then tamp it down (walk on it) depending where you live, do it sooner rather than later, because otherwise you will be trying to water it, which frankly is a nightmare.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Hi 
    That's some depth of clay to dig out. Obviously, that why you have laid quite a large amount of topsoil to make up the ground. Depending how good your top soil is and hopefully it is good quality and not full of stones. The next step is to consolidate the soil by walking over it and then racking over the area. At this point remove any large stone . After a few walks and racking you should see a level ground for the turf to be laid
    After your final racking, I would consider adding some Growmore fertiliser to the soil as it will give the turf a bit of a growth boost imo.