Forum home Problem solving

First time house owner advice needed please!!

Hi All, 

My partner and I have recently bought our first house. We have two/three trees in the front garden. 

We like the idea of keeping them but they are currently in a bad state, I believe there are 2 conifers with a 3rd tree behind growing inbetween and over the conifers. 

What steps can we take from here please? We have no gardening knowledge between us!!

Many thanks

Leon

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,892
    Do you have any plans for that bit of garden? From the shadows it looks like they're on the northern boundary of the garden is that right?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,878
    I can only see the conifers which are past their best. Conifers don't come back from that state.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Hi Leon, and congratulations on your new home 😊.

Now as for the trees, I'm sorry to say I think they're beyond saving.  All the brown bits are dead and won't regrow even if you prune them out.
    Looks like there's some ivy growing through it and maybe another kind of vine. Might have been an effort to cover up the dead bits by the previous people.

If it was my garden I'd get rid and start from scratch.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    I think they’ve had it so personally I would cut them all down. They are in a poor state and unlikely to recover. You won’t get new growth from the dead wood (brown) areas.

It will give you a clean slate to design your new garden. Just be careful of nesting birds at this time of year.
  • Do you have any plans for that bit of garden? From the shadows it looks like they're on the northern boundary of the garden is that right?

The house is south facing