Forum home Problem solving

What's growing in between my paving and how to I get rid of it?!

Hi! I've recently moved in to a new home where the garden has been neglected for some time. I have something growing between the paving and standard weed killer isn't doing the job.  
I'm not sure if it's roots from a nearby bush possibly? 
Any help and advice is very much appreciated! 
Thanks in advance! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Afraid that's the reproductive spore-bearing part of Horsetail  ... plenty of info here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=257
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,019
    It's Mare's Tail - extremely hard to get rid of. Those are the fruiting bodies. You'll also see it looking like little green Christmas trees. It spreads underground and pops up everywhere
    Weedkillers are fairly ineffective -it's been around sice the dawn of time.Best thing is to keep hoeing it to weaken it, especially those big spores before they do more spreading!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    My condolences.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,144
    Someone correct me if I am wrong ,but doesn't horse / mares tail have to be declared if a house is sold.  Or am I thinking about something else. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    No ... not horse/marestail ... but Japanese Knotweed does. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,144
    Thanks Dove.  I knew that there was one that was supposed to be reported on sale. 
  • MoobloonMoobloon Posts: 24
    Best wishes at getting rid of this weed. It can be done - with perseverance. The reason that weed killer isn't working is because it has a wax-like covering that the chemicals don't penetrate.
    The advice to keep hoeing does work. But be dedicated to the cause - as soon as you relax it will spread again. The theory is that all plants need light. If you deprive them of the light they will eventually die.
    Finally, disposing of this horrible weed needs to be done with consideration. Please don't put it into your green bin. Also, make sure you pick up every piece you hoe off. Don't leave it lying there once you have chopped it. It WILL grow again from even a small segment.