Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wanted - design for a front & rear entrance hedgehog house

Our bcak garden has solid East, South and West walls, but our North fence has access to 35 acres of Trout fishing lakes and wildfowl reserve. We used to see myriad hedgehogs the until the last 5-10 years.

I want to design and build a hedgehog house so that they can enter from the 35 acres to our North, and walk out of it into our back garden to the South, with a suitable 'haven' around half way to sleep among dried leaves, etc.

Any ideas?

• bill 908bill 908 Posts: 2
    I've now closed my membership of Gardeners' World.com because of the Afibel adverts that appear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is completely unbecoming of the Beeb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,995
    edited April 2018
    Obviously you need to make sure only hogs and other small creatres can get through what l envisage as a kind of tunnel as opposed to a house, but with sleeping areas enroute. Am l right with my thinking? Usually a hedgehog house is tucked away in a sheltered corner for sleeping / hibernating. Nice to have someone else helping these creatures  :) Edited to add, while l was posting, have you already left Bill?!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,139
    Bill in case you're still looking in ... this site doesn't belong to the BBC ... it's part of Immediate Media ... a separate company that publishes the magazine and this website, amongst others. This free site depends on advertising which provides its income.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,552
    They won't want an open plan house in which to sleep or hibernate.  Make a conventional hedgehog house - plenty of info on the net - and make holes at the base of your fence so they can move between your garden and the reserve.

Get an ad blocker for your PC.  Adblock Plus is free and works for many of us here. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw