Will a woodpile kill nearby shrubs

I have recently had a tree cut down and now have some large logs.  I want to create a woodpile for wildlife but have read that they should not be sited close to trees and shrubs because when the woodpile starts to decade and form fungi, this can kill nearby shrubs.  I cannot find any information on how far away the woodpile needs to be from shrubs.  I only have 1 area I can site the woodpile at the bottom of my garden and it will be about 2 meters from a mixed border.  Does anyone know if this is far enough away as I don't want to kill off my shrub border.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    That sounds like rubbish to me.  I don't see how fungus that consumes decaying matter will bother a living plant.  

You do need to ensure the woodpile does not create shade on the existing plants, and that it does not block rainfall/water from the roots. 

Two meters away is ample.  A good on you for creating a wildlife habitat.  
    Utah, USA.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,324
    I have wood piles under my shrubs and trees. They seem fine.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999
    a woodpile is great for wildlife and will not kill shrubs. Fungi are part of the natural system of breaking down dead wood. They don't live on live wood.
    Honey Fungus lives underground on roots though the fruiting bodies appear above ground.
  • Thank you everyone for your advice
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    I have got old logs in 2 woodland type borders, they dont kill anything