Frog spawn

I had a lot of frog spawn in my pond, I put a cover over to protect it from herons, the frog spawn looks like it died and the pond has a film on the top. It was clear till the frogs came now its green and horrible. No chemicals have got in it and I have no idea what has happened any ideas please?  

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,251
    The late cold snap has killed off all the frog spawn up here. There might be still some alive if it was deep enough but all the spawn I've seen was in shallow ditches.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    Just went out into the garden and heard loud croaking from the pond ... a male frog advertising his presence to any lady frogs in the vicinity ... we usually have several frogs around the pond most summers, so hopefully he'll have come female company very soon  <3
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    Dove, does that mean the frogs are still spawning?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    I think so ... ours were quite late last year too.  It seems a good strategy to spread spawning out over quite a long period, that way at least some will survive bad weather whenever it comes.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh