Forum home Problem solving

Moving house, taking potted plants with me.

RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of moving a garden from one house to another.  I will be moving next month and have a large number of plants in pots.  In preparation for the move I have actually been digging some things up and potting them ready.  I have about 40 pots in total ranging in size from small to up to 5ft. Some are large, heavy terracotta pots.  Does anyone know if removal companies are willing to move them, if it comes at a significant extra cost, are there any conditions and do they look after them well?  I will be moving about 2 hours drive away, so it's not to another end of the country.  Any info or experience with this would be very helpful.  

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    When we moved the removal chaps moved about 300 pots of varying sizes. The man who came to size up the move said "no problem, if we can pick it up we can move it". The men on the day grumbled a bit but did pack it all into boxes and it turned up mostly intact at the far end. Complete with a frog!
  • RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333
    Excellent, that's very good to hear, especially about the frog!
  • Legally, you have agreed to sell anything that's planted in the garden, unless you specifically identified things that were not included in the sale. I don't know how much your purchasers will notice or care, but they may have photos showing plants they thought were included. If it's just smaller and more crowded plants,  it may not matter, but any significant or specimen plants might be missed.

In any case, take care to make good any holes you leave in the ground, or redistribute other plants to fill up spaces.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333
    Thanks Green Magpie. I was aware of this so actually dug everything up before we put our property on the market.  It has been clearly stated that no pots will remain. :-) 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    It's been many years since we last moved house, but when we did, l had everything l wanted to take in pots and showed them to the estimators from various companies. We also had a greenhouse (dismantled) that we took including a whole roof section - no problem. We moved from Cheshire to Gloucestershire and everything made it in one piece. Basically you pays your money and takes your choice.  
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    edited April 2018
    It's been many years since we last moved house, but when we did, l had everything l wanted to take in pots and showed them to the estimators from various companies. We also had a greenhouse (dismantled) that we took including a whole roof section - no problem. We moved from Cheshire to Gloucestershire and everything made it in one piece. Basically you pays your money and takes your choice.  No idea why it posted twice, sorry !
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    We moved from Harrow to Belgium in 1991.  After a visit from DEFRA for health certificates we happily moved several precious shrubs and special fruit plants and all our house plants.  They were in the truck for 5 days, well packed and supported i the back of the truck.  Last in and first out and no losses.

18 months ago we moved form a much bigger garden in Belgium to an even bigger plot in France.  800 kms.   I made it clear from the start that the removals people would be moving lots of plants and the buyers knew no pots would be left.   We ended up with a separate trailer for our plants.  They were stacked on our own garden shed shelving system and carefully tied in or down and wrapped as appropriate. 

They varied in size and shape and material from small plastic to large ceramic pots  70cms high and wide    There were roses, clematis, small trees, other shrubs, pots of cuttings, hostas, other special perennials and so on.   Well over 100 pots.   They were packed in on a Thursday and arrived here late on Monday afternoon and were immediately all stashed together for a good drink.   No losses.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,929
    When we moved I had previously  transplanted all the plants shrubs into pots before the estate agent came round to value.I made sure she knew that my thirty year old shrubs etc and birthday present plants were coming with me..
    We learnt later that our next door neighbours either side advised the new owners not to do anything for the coming year to let everything come up .  :*  saying you have a lovely garden the old owners spent a lot of money on shrubs etc.talk about a guilt trip!
    But they HAD bought as seen .
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.