Forum home Plants

Rose advice...any suggestions would be appreciated

Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 391
edited April 2018 in Plants
I have a nice sized space in a west facing border and would like some advice on which rose to pick.  The border is clay soil but has lots of organic material added. I have a few other roses that do well in that border. I usually go for small-medium sized floribunda, bush types

I'l let you know what I'd like. As I have a pastel/pink/white theme in my garden it would to be in keeping. As the garden is fairly exposed I need a rose to have fairly robust flowers ( I have a couple of David austin roses that just get knocked around with a few gust of wind). Id also like a change from David austin. Most important to me are the repeat flowering element, robustness of the flowers and scent ( although this is just a bonus) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,009
    I only grow DA roses and had an exposed garden in central Belgium till we moved 18 month ago - lots of wind and rain and seriously cold winters.  I can heartily recommend Sceptr'd Isle and Queen of Sweden as being very robust.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 391
    Thanks obelixx funnily enough I have 2 queen of Sweden roses in the same border. They have done pretty well...but only been in 2 years. Can I ask is scepter d isle flowers similar to qof??
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,009
    No paler pink, different shape.  https://www.davidaustinroses.com/us/scepter-d-isle-tree-rose   In my experience, Q of S is quite upright whereas SI lends itself to growing long shoots you can then bend and tie down to make an arched shape that is then covered in flowers as this treatment leads to more flower buds forming.  This is a process known as pegging - http://www.rosenotes.com/2009/02/pegging.html

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    There are millions to choose from and it's a very personal choice, but here are 4 that I enjoy in my very exposed garden in East Anglia.  They are all hardy, wind and rain resistant, and tolerant of exposure..
    'Octavia Hill' [Harkness rose, floribunda/shrub]

'Scarborough Fair' [Austin 3 x 3, floriferous all season]

'Sweet Child Of Mine' [Tantau roses]
    strongly fragrant of myrrh... wind and rain tolerant.. small shrub..

'Desdemona' [Austin] very healthy and tolerates everything... 4 x 4..

happy choosing...
    East Anglia, England
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks you kind people...some good suggestions. Out of curiosity. .has anyone grown the below ?
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    If you want a rose that looks half decent after heavy rain, then that isn't the one..
    East Anglia, England
    Marlorena said:
    If you want a rose that looks half decent after heavy rain, then that isn't the one..
    Thanks for the heads up..the flower tone just so pretty for the images. No point if gets dashed easy...

Can anyone advise how flimsy DA winchester cathedral is ?  As its a west facing border
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,080
    Sorry - I don't know that one. I grow both Rhapsody in Blue and a gallica called Versicolour (DA's 'Rosa Mundi') in a very windy west facing garden and both do fine. I know the 'blue' ones aren't everyone's taste (and aren't blue) but I especially like that one because the fragrance is wonderful. 
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    Winchester Cathedral did not grow at all for me. I tossed it after a few years.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller