Forum home Problem solving

Beech hedge regrowth when fence panels removed?

Hi - we are looking for some advice.  We have a 3ft fence on the front boundary that we planted a beach hedge behind about 10 years ago. The hedge is now beautiful, mature and about 6-7ft high.  The small fence at the bottom (particularly the posts) are however rotten through...

Our ideal option is to remove the fence and just have a beautiful hedge,  but there is no leaf growth behind the fence - will it grow back?  Can we do anything to encourage it?  How long will it take?

Alternatively we can replace the fence,  but I'm nervous about damaging the roots and to be honest we don't need the fence now we have the hedge.

Thank you for any advice, guidance or thoughts!  Two pictures below...  from the front and a close up of the growth behind.

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I think it will grow back, but it may take a couple of years. A good feed with a slow release fertilizer will help the hedge make new growth. Worst case, if it doesn't grow back, you can always put another fence in! But I would remove the fence.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,487
    If the beech hedge fronts onto a public footpath and you remove the fence, you might possibly find curious dogs, cats and wildlife coming through into your garden.