Forum home Plants

Salvia Confusion

I am looking to try a couple of different salvia rather than the standard Hot Lips etc etc.

and would prefer ones that are around 65cm tall. Flower spring to autumn for the bees I wondered if anyone has one of the following and what success they have had....

Desert Blaze or Peter Vidgeon, Dysons Joy or if you could advise on successful varieties (not keen on blues/purples) ....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368
    shrubs or herbaceous?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    Royal Bumble, as it's name suggests, is a bee magnet, in a red colour. I found Peter Vidgeon not as tough, although a pretty pink. Silas Dyson is another red.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,992
    My Royal Bumble is still too young for a full assessment,
     though I have hopes of it,  but I have had Neon for several years and it is a great plant. Strong, vigorous, very easy from cuttings and makes a gently sprawling shrub covered in vivid pink flowers all summer. Great company for Echinaceas .
    Shame you don't like blues - I think African Sky is even better!
  • R55R55 Posts: 8
    ...I agree, I too can highly recommend Neon; bright pink flowers and cuttings take readily.
  • Thank you so much 
     B) 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    I grow
    Salvia coccinea 'Summer Jewel Pink' from seed - they flower from June until the frost gets them - the pink flowers on the right

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete 
    They look lovely