Forum home Fruit & veg

Asparagus

Afternoon all,
I've just come back from a session at the allotment. The weeds are on steroids but my asparagus has other ideas. It's an established bed but not a single sign of any growth. I know the cold would have delayed things a bit but I just wondered if other peoples asparagus are not keen either.
Jan

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    You're right, mine aren't keen either. Somebody said April 23rd was the traditional day to start picking, but could be later this year because of the cold.
  • JanetlJanetl Posts: 29
    They've got a few days then! This heat might just be enough to get them going.

• Just today, I can see the first tips of asparagus poking up. I'm in the south of England, so don't despair, this warmth should soon bring results!
    I'm in Lincoln so a week or so behind. We saw some at Spalding last week just starting to shoot so hopefully I may even be able to crop soon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,418
    There's some on sale in Norfolk ... but it's been grown in polytunnels ... the outside asparagus isn't ready yet.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• johnbaronjohnbaron Posts: 75
    I planted my crowns on Tuesday, and behold; first spear popped up today! It's going to be a looooong two years!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    Gosh, that's good going (or should I say growing!) - I'm deeply envious, no sign of mine yet.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,187
    Mine only appeared a few days ago but is now going strong. First batch ready to eat for lunch today and more on the way. This is my first year that I can pick it so super excited!

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,730
    Also in the SE here, and its growing 6 inches plus a day.
    It finally arrived! Cut 5 spears and there are several more poking through. Not growing at their normal inch per day but it is still cold here...all of 10C.