Forum home Plants

Mystery bulbs.

AfcotunaAfcotuna Posts: 4
My grandad has very sweetly sent me a whole tub of bulbs in the green because he heard I was thinking of planting crocuses under my lawn. He said he thought they were crocuses but was not sure. Personally I thought the leaves looked a bit 'stringy' to be crocuses but that may be because they are not in fantastic health.
Anyone have any thoughts? It would be much appreciated. I would love to be a bit more sure before I plant them! Thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,572
    They look like crocuses in the process of growing the new corm on top of the old. Personally I would not move crocuses in the green, but let them die down naturally and then plant them.
  • The stacked corms look like crocosmias.
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,079
    Mm, probably crocuses. Heel them into pots in bunches and let them die back naturally then plant them in the autumn? Lovely of your grandad to take the trouble 
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • AfcotunaAfcotuna Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice! Good to know that they are actually crocuses!
  • AfcotunaAfcotuna Posts: 4
    It is very sweet of him. He used to love gardening but doesn't have a garden in his retirement flat so buys plants for me and other relatives instead! 
    edited April 2018
    I would have thought grandad would probably know what they are - he just misunderstood about which ones to move 'in the green'. You can plant them directly where you want them - you may lose some but if you have a tub full, that may not be too catastrophic

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,380
    I'm not quite sure what they are but they don't look like crocus leaves to me - could be snowdrops?
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    Snowdrops generally have quite white bulbs while they are in the green. The corm is more indicative than the leaf. If you grow your crocuses too close together with not enough food, they go like that. Obviously being a diligent gardener who never lets things get overcrowded, I only know that from reading it in books, and not from an old pot of crocus I found round the back of the shed  :)