Forum home Plants

Prunus - Kojo No Mai

EmmaMEmmaM Posts: 15
Hi,

I've just bought this gorgeous plant and was planning to put it in a pot as my soil is pretty heavy so looking at the label this won't do so well in the ground.  However, I don't know how big the pot should be for it, can I keep it quite small or will it need lots of space?

Thanks

Emma

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    edited April 2018
    It grows slowly. I bought one a couple of years ago. It is about 18 inches high in a pot 12 inch deep  and 9 inch across. It is currently a mass of flower.  The bigger the plant you have bought, the bigger the pot you will need.  Pot it into a pot a couple of inches larger than the pot it came in.
    It had the added advantage that I bring it down onto the patio when it flowers, but it is fairly boring the rest of year, so it goes back to the holding pen.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,229
    They are so pretty when in flower, but I do the same as fidgetbones and tuck the pot round the back of the house.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,682
    edited April 2018
    It should not be boring in the autumn.
    The leaves should go a deep red.
    In shade it may not happen. See link...scroll to end.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&amp;sort=date-taken-desc&amp;text=prunus kojo no mai&amp;view_all=1
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .