Forum home Problem solving

Weed problems

Hi all,

Having a nightmare with weeds in my lawn and I'm hoping someone can help me out. New build property, seeded the lawn in September 17, and it's now being over run with weeds, I used Aftercut weed and feed a week ago and it doesn't look like it's having any effect what so ever. I've added some images, the top two are the main culprit, it seems like a vine type weed. I could get rid of them manually but my lawn is 200+sqm and was looking for an easier solution to be honest. 

Any help is much appreciated.

PS. Sorry if the images are too large I cant find a way to resize them.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited April 2018
    They don't look like a nightmare at all. All part of owning a lawn. Even if you weed and feed every year, you will see these weeds return. Many will die off if you rake your lawn and cut regularly and the more you cut, the less likely they will thrive.

You may find you need to re-seed patches, now or later on, so scratch the gap areas and sow some lawn seeds in. By doing this, you minimise any chance of bare earth being colonised by weeds. Then continue to weed and feed the lawn after that. I think it's a little too early to do this now as it has been pretty cold and only just starting to warm up.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    It's one of the downsides of seeding a lawn rather than laying turf. As the lawn gets older, with regular cutting and TLC it will thicken up and crowd out the weedlings. Any really bare patches you have now can be reseeded. Have faith! 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller