Forum home Problem solving

Know what's wrong with my Apple tree?

This grey/white mould(?) appeared during the very wet winter, I'm not sure what it is. Was very concerned it was Honey Fungus but it doesn't go beneath the surface of the bark and (from what I understand) Honey fungus works under the bark. The bark does seem squashier than the bark that is free of it. It doesn't seem to be affecting the moss or ivy that is growing up the tree.  Any ideas? I'm a bit worried about it :s

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    edited April 2018
    It looks like a very happy, healthy lichen to me. Don’t know which one as there are thousands but nothing to worry about. Just using your tree as a place to call home. Nothing more. It could be one of the pale grey ones on this page:

http://www.britishlichens.co.uk/pi_crust_sterile.html
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177

and this.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ree2Ree2 Posts: 31
    Thanks for the reply guys - pansyface I always thought lichens could be peeled away - thank you for the link by the way, I've been scrolling through trying to find one that might match.
  • Ree2Ree2 Posts: 31
    Fire - I must say I didn't realise your post was a link straight away and had a bit of a panic thinking mytrees were done for - thanks for the clarification :)