Forum home Problem solving

Pale leaves on Camelia

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
edited April 2018 in Problem solving
Can anyone tell me why my Camelia's leaves are so much paler and more yellowy than they used to be? They used to be a nice dark green  but now look really pale and yellowing. Could it be down to the amount of rain we've had this year? I have given it some camelia feed and mulched it with ericaceous compost in the hope it might revive it. It has also drooped a lot too but that could be the amount of flowers on it? Any advice on how I should look after it, i will be very sad if it dies. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,589
    Camellias are ericaceous and using camellia feed and the mulch may well correct the problem which is called chlorosis and results when plants cannot take up iron and magnesium.  This may be a result of rain washing away essential minerals or the presence of lime or calcium in the soil.

If it doesn't recover in a few weeks you can try giving it a foliar feed by pouring over a solution of 15ml Epsom salts and 5 litres of rain water or tap, if yours is soft.  Never use hard tap water.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw