Forum home Problem solving

Fallen tree! Rescue or not.

2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
Noticed a small fallen tree a few days ago on the grass verge, looks like it came into contact with a car as the trunk appears slightly damaged. 

I called the council 3 days ago to inform them in hope that someone would come and replant the tree back into its place. I didn’t see any stakes and presume it was planted without staking. I feel really annoyed that no one has turned up to rescue it. 

The girth is approx 14cm and is about 7/8 ft and appears to be going into bud. It saddens me to see it dying on the road!
Since the council can’t be bothered with looking after their trees should I rescue it and give it a good home in my front drive? I’m afraid of the legality around this and the last thing I want is to get into any trouble from the law!  :/

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,330
    Can you not put it back in the hole it came from? Then you aren't stealing it and the tree has the best chance to live
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,246
    Is it the kind of tree you would want in your garden?
    I dare say the council is overwhelmed with things that need doing and no staff to do them.
    Why not dig it up, take it home and send them a follow up email to say that you have rescued it and if they want it they know where to come? My guess is that you won’t hear from them again.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    I doubt it would be safe to replant it.

Logs for the wood burner? :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    You could always email/call the Council to say you have rescued it and if they want it, it's in your garden. As for planting it, if you are sure you want it, give it a go, you've nothing to lose.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,144
    As it looks as if it has had contact with a tree , if you do move it take a photo of it first. It may be part of an  insurance claim .
  • 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
    All day I thought long and hard about what to with this predicament. After persuading my OH to lend some muscle I mustered up some courage to go and replant the tree into its original place. Felt out of sorts really with a shovel and a bag of soil working on this tree with onlookers wondering if I was vandalising it. 

Anyway, it’s all back in with a small stake I had and a ribbon for a tree tie. It did have a small label which said “Liquidambar worpelsdon” I just hope it survives being out of the ground for several days. 

I realised that it was too much of a risk to bring it home with the awful thought of getting into trouble over it. My job is such that I have a CRB check annually so just couldn’t risk my job over a tree  :#
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Good on you!  I read your post earlier, but couldn't imagine risking rescuing/stealing it.. or watching it suffer and die.  I hope it survives!
    Utah, USA.
  • 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
    Thanks BO. I hope it does too, will have to see next few weeks.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Far the best option. Well done.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    I concur.  You've done your best and I hope the tree survives. May need watering though if it's hot next week -they have promised us!