Help me ID this frog(!)

I don’t have a pond so this scared the bejesus out of me when it left out as I rooted around with my hands amongst the weeds in the corner of the garden.

Greeny body with bumps on the back turning to black at the top of its nose with bits of red around the face.

Ive switched focus to the lawn while I figure out if I need to do anything :)

cheers.

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 727
    Common frog by the look of it. They come in all kinds of colours and markings. You don’t need a pond, he’ll just be mooching around the garden eating your slugs. As long as he’s got lots of cover and somewhere to hide he’ll be fine 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,162
    Such a handsome chap ... or chap-ess.   B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It'll be hinting Tin pot - you need to make a pond B)
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 724
    Ha ha.   :D

Yes it’s lurking back where I found it.   Unfortunately I’m clearing all of that out and was going to wood chip surface it. 
    If you have any other unkemp... sorry, ‘natural’ areas then he/she should be fine. If not then it will likely move on to pastures new. They are handy to have around so a bit of long grass, some rotting wood on a long pile etc nevertheless goes amiss 
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 724
    Yes, there’s plenty of other ‘natural’ areas for now.  I might plan in a bit more for wildlife - Id given up on anything beyond foxes and birds after leaving a huge 2x2m pile of branches over winter. Then I find this frog hidden behind weeds and a couple of Spanish bluebells in the corner!

It really did make me jump - full grown man crying out in fear at a frog!  :'( :D
    Wait till you see a toad!

Sounds like he has no reason to leave then, frogs only really need water for breeding, and that can be pretty much just a deep puddle that hangs around until summer. Plenty of hunting ground and some decent cover are the main requirements really 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,503
    Found both frog and toad in garden last year. No pond either. Yes they do make you jump while weeding. Great for gardens and shows a healthy eco system.  Mine winter under the edges of raised bed slabs. Enjoy them but watch out while clearing the rest of the garden there is probably more .
  • The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 403
    Female common frog. Males are bluish / grey in spring.