Forum home Problem solving

Agapanthus problems

Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 372
edited April 2018 in Problem solving
Hi, I planted 3 1 litre agapanthus umbrella a white variety into fresh soil that was lightly fertilised about a month ago. I have noticed that the foiloge and general plant health has increasingly worsened over the past couple of weeks. The plants were bought from a reputable garden centre and survived the beast from the east. I don't believe the issue is frost type issue. Any advice would be appreciated 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543
    I agree.  Frost damage.  They are not reliably frost hardy, tho some varieties are hardier than others and will survive a degree or two but not if in leaf in my experience.   Newly bought plants will have been grown under protection and should be given protection, especially at night, until mid May when most frosts are over.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,312
    If they are 'blue umbrella' (?) - I just looked them up and they are an evergreen type. They tend to be less hardy, so it could be night frosts nipping at them. You don't say where you are - if you're in the southwest, it's more likely too much rain and not enough sun. Down here it's been mild enough over night in the last couple of weeks to start them thinking about growing, and the absence of any sunshine at all then becomes a problem. They also need good drainage - is your soil heavy? 

Mine are looking rather disgruntled just now - too wet and too dark. They'll perk up if the sun ever shines.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 372
    edited April 2018
    Hi guys.. thanks for the reply. I was thinking too much rain or a soil issue as we'e only had one real ground frost here in the past couple of weeks. The reason why I'm not sure it' frost damage is that they looked happier when it was -7 in march than they do now

Oh I live in staffordshire..but we seem to have somewhat as mini micro climate here where we don' get as many frosts and certainly not the snowfall the rest of the county has had
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133
    I won’t be putting mine outside until May, agree that is frost damage, much too cold for them, think of where they come from originally and try to replicate that climate.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• enilorac2enilorac2 Suffolk CoastPosts: 65
    I have several all in pots, varieties mixed, outside in Suffolk all year round and currently only one looks as though the frost has struck. Is it likely to recover does anyone think?
  • stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    Looks like the combination of cold and wet. Cold alone isn't usually a problem
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,312
    Looks like the combination of cold and wet. Cold alone isn't usually a problem
    I agree
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 372
    Ok thank you, my greenhouse is full so might move them to pots to see if they are any happier. As an aside has anyone grown succesfuly a hardy white variety? Ive got 2 lovely blue/lilac plants that did well last year, but I don' seem to have much succes with white