Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting Out Apple Tree

Hi. I have two apple trees bought from a garden centre at the end of last year - they are both about 4 feet tall. I kept them in my shed all winter and want to plant them out now. I have labels telling me location details and advice, but wanted to hear from the forum about is this the best time of year and what kind of preparation to make? 

Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,162
    What varieties are they?
    I take it they are in pots.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,901
    Haha.. I hope they are in pots.  Bareroot was my first thought too.  

Did you keep the soil moist over winter?  An occasional water?  
    Utah, USA.
  • when I get home I will get varieties - an occasional water

• two varieties - on grafts I presume. Apple Discovery on MM106 and Cox's O. Pippin SF on MM106
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,162
    edited April 2018
    OK, so two nice varieties. Discovery is an early apple that doesn’t keep for very long but is delicious when eaten straight off the tree. Cox used to be a tricky one but you have got the self-fertile cultivar which is good.

Rootstock MM106 produces a big tree - up to and maybe over 4 metres tall and needing a space around it of the same distance before the next tree is planted.

The up side of MM106 is that you don’t need any special preparation for the soil, providing it isn’t a waterlogged area. Just dig it over to aerate it a bit, throw in a bit of well rotted manure and put in a good strong stake. Then plant your tree with the graft (the bump) well above the soil level. Attach it to the stake with a proper adjustable tree tie. Water in and wait for about three years before you harvest any fruit.

Now that the frosts appear to finally be over, you can do that now.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • thank you so much Pansyface - I'll be back on here with many more discussions/questions - my father in law was a gardener but passed away recently and I want to complete the plan he had for our garden.