Forum home Plants

Acid loving plants, what to do with them.

VivienVivien Posts: 42
A friend who is downsizing has given me five acid loving plants but as my soil is very alkaline I'm unsure what to do with them really, I don't
want to start trying to change the soil, would they survive in pots, in shade, grouped together? Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, thank you.

• FireFire Posts: 18,963
    Hi Vivien, what are the plants?
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,009
    If your soil is alkaline it has to be pots and ericaceous compost and only watered with rain water.   Fit the size of pot to the size of the plant, feed because composts only have food for 90 days.

Where you site the pots depends on what the plants are and how much sun they need as well as protection form drying winds, cold etc.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    The idea you have suggested is sensible. They won't like your soil, but if you keep them in pots they should be fine.

You obviously understand plants and soil, so that is probably why your friend gave them to you.
    SW Scotland
  • FireFire Posts: 18,963
    edited April 2018
  • VivienVivien Posts: 42
    Fire said:
    Hi Vivien, what are the plants?
    Sorry about the late reply but have been away. Three are Pieris Japonica, different ones though,  one is a Camillia and I'm not sure what the other one as it doesn't look very happy, lots of brown bits and leaves falling off but could upload pics if that would help. Thank you.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Group them all together in pots. I’m sure they will do fine in pots. Just make sure they are in good size pots and collect rain water to water them over the hotter months. Keep them away from the high sun especially over the warmer months. They will be fine.

Post a picture of the dried up looking one. It’s good to know what you were given.