Forum home Plants

Thriving Perennials

Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
I'm not entirely sure whether it's a response to the 'Beasts' recent visit , or just excessive moisture in the soil , but my perennial border is more advanced and 'healthy' looking than in many a previous year .
Emerging shoots look glossy and larger than usual ; maybe a good chilling does certain plants good ! Hope they keep that way .

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    A few have really thrived with it, others are still sulking, particularly the late summer flowerers. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,893
    Too early for me to tell
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,558
    Did you have snow? Different climate to yours I appreciate, but after a 20cm snowfall all my plants suddenly burst into life. Shrubby salvias, geraniums, echinaceas, verbena bonariensis, gaura, perovskia, roses, berberis etc., all shot up and are looking very green and healthy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,893
    Nothing at all yet from geraniums, salvias, verbena, fuchsias  or geum. Roses are thinking about it. Yes, I had quite thick snow for a few weeks.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,968
    edited April 2018
    We live in the driest part of the UK and my garden is thriving with all the snow & rain we’ve had recently. This time last year it was unseasonably hot and dry and spring came & went really quickly. Buxus and other shrubs put on lots of leafy growth which was then nipped quite severely by frost and I had to start regular watering of new plantings much earlier than normal.

This year new growth is later but is green and lush & spring colour is lingering. There has been some damage from the bitingly cold winds - but nothing some judicious pruning won’t sort out. And I’m hoping a few nasty bugs will have been killed off.

Personally, I’ve welcomed a return to a ‘proper’ winter.😊
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    Apart from my boiler freezing in the first 'Beast' and slight damage to some evergreens , I think I'd probably second that !
    Bulbs this year look 'brighter' (Or is that the Vodka)?? ; seriously though , plants from continental climes look particularly vibrant .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.