Forum home Plants

Pleached tree and border advice

SandTSandT Posts: 70
Tree experts and garden designers, can you help?
I need height and structure in our new garden. A gardener has suggested a deeper back border than I've allowed, plus some pleached trees to create a modern screener. I thought I'd get a second opinion on which. She's suggested 2x pleached elaeagnus ebbingei or 2x pleached olive. I thought pleached lime were the go-to choice - any reason she might not have suggested these?
The whole length of the border which you can see in my image is 5.4m, however one day we might put in a floating bench with back bamboo on the last third, so have been working to a border length of 3.6m by focusing on the first two thirds.
Also attached is an image of what we'd like to achieve, just need some advice on planting and design. Thanks

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Did you mention anything about evergreen? To be honest, pleaching can be on any form of shrub that responds well to shaping. What’s the soil like and what’s the orientation at the back? 
  • SandTSandT Posts: 70
    Yes I had asked for evergreen - I guess things like lime aren't really.
    The garden faces NE but this back border does get reasonable sun throughout May to September. We used all new topsoil and organic matter. Some things have failed though and I don't know why (rose zephirine, for example) but in theory, the soil should be good and neutral. Thanks
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    The back wall should be more sunnier then. They are good suggestions, but you can look into many other evergreens such as Lorniceras, Bay and even Cotoneasters. I like the Olive tree idea though. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,440
    I'm not sure pleached olive trees would survive in the UK, unless you're really south. They'd be up in the air above the wall so to speak and you wouldn't be able to protect them. They'd also be very expensive I would think if you wanted a decent size. The evergreen Eleagnus would grow much quicker and does have a strong perfume when in flower, so that would be my choice. Are you prepared for the ongoing annual pruning of the pleached trees or would the gardener do it?   
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone