Forum home Problem solving

grape hyacinth help

stuart and Codystuart and Cody South Wales ukPosts: 72
hi guys, i have grape hyacinth in my garden but due to the warm autumn and early winter we had, the bulbs sprung very early and they have pretty much been growing since, the flowers have just started to come through which are good an healthy but the whole area looks untidy because the green leaves or foliage came so early they are long, floppy and stringy.  can i chop these down a little shorter to tidy things up, essentially give them a haircut so to speak or will this kill them? i've posted a pic below 

thanks guys your always a help. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,098
    It looks good and wild to me.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,921
    If you want and like them, you’ll have to leave them, if you don’t, dig some or all out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I think only thermo nuclear blast kills them  ;)  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,457
    They are doing exactly what they are supposed to do and that is how they are supposed to look ... if that's not the look you want then you need to dig them up and replace them with something else. 
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• stuart and Codystuart and Cody South Wales ukPosts: 72
    thanks guys, they are not really bugging me too much i just thought they grew a bit tidier from looking online, i presumed it was because they came so early before spring. but if they are meant to look like that then all good, thanks for the advice guys..! 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,679
    Good luck with getting rid of them, I try every year and still have loads of them.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • stuart and Codystuart and Cody South Wales ukPosts: 72
    Good luck with getting rid of them, I try every year and still have loads of them.

i managed to get shot of montbretia these should be a doddle if i choose to get shot!! 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,679
    Much worse than montbretia, got rid of those easily but not the grape hyacinths, been trying for 3 years.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    The leaves always come up a long time before the flowers, and can get very long and "traily".  Maybe the problem is that the flowers are late this year, so the leaves have got unusually long before the flowers have caught up...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    If you encourage squirrels, they'll dig up all your grape hyacinths for you.  The only ones I have in my garden are growing through tarmac!
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore