Forum home Problem solving

Planting out potgrown plants.

I expect most of you know this, but I didn't, so I'm sharing it in case it helps someone else.  The books all tell you to "tease out some of the roots from the rootball", but they don't tell you how.  I've spent my life picking at them with my fingers, and succeeded only in breaking them off. This week, an angel whispered in my ear:. "try using the fork", and it worked a treat.  I pushed my handfork into the side of the rootball, about halfway down, and wiggled it downwards, and the bottom of the rootball broke apart with all the roots dangling intact.  Was I chuffed!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,108
    @josusa47 ... good tip, and it'll save what I have left of my fingernails .... or it would if I knew what had happened to either or both of my handforks  :s
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    I use a blunt ended skewer, very carefully. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121
    I use the pointy end of a plant label 
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    I just use my hands. No need to be too delicate with this especially if you are dealing with plants in 2l+ pots. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • I have always teased out the roots but never as successfully as you describe above josusa, thanks for the tip.  What annoys me is that most often on gardening programmes they don't bother to do this - preferring to remove plant from pot and plant without untangling the roots in any way. I was beginning to think that I was doing it wrong!