Forum home Problem solving

What is eating my daffodil buds?

jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424
Hi all, many of my daffodil flower buds are being attached by something :( 

Would anybody what is eating the below? I'm not sure of the variety but i think it was a dwarf variety anyway.

Thanks in advance

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Slugs and/or snails.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,429
    I'd agree with that, Bob.  My dwarf daffs look similar...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424
    Oh wow, i didn't think they'd go for flowers over foliage. It's very annoying. All my tete a tete seem absolutely fine in another part of the garden. Hope they don't go after my tulips next which all have lovely fat flower buds ready to burst.
  • Yes, I think it is probably slug damage.

I picked up a bulb when walking my dog on the beach. It looked like a daffodil bulb, had a few stunted leaves showing so I planted it and waited with bated breath to see what glorious treasure I had found. Hah! A bud formed and was not far off breaking when it was demolished, just below the flower head and above the top of the stem. Now I have to wait 12 months to see what it is.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,883
    I have noticed tiny black beetles in some of mine.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,155
    Could be our friends the friendly House Sparrows.  They sometimes go for yellow flowers but I'd rather have the sparrows than not so I've learned to live with losing a few flowers. 
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Mine have been munched nightly by slugs and snails but usually when the buds have opened 
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424
    edited April 2018
    Thanks all, probably is slugs. I know they attacked loads of my seedlings that were in mini greenhouse so i started again and using windowsills this time until they have true leaves at least. They seem less interested in seedlings once they come on a bit. It's interesting that most of my tete a tete daffodils were untouched but this other dwarf variety must be more appealing  :(:(
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,239
    Isn't that strange. My Tete a tete daffs have nearly all been eaten, but other types have been fine. We found some little brown slugs sitting inside a couple of bigger white daffs this morning - the blighters!