Forum home Wildlife gardening

Swallows

floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,166
Have just seen the first swallow this year, usually they arrive at the end of March down here in Haute-Garonne France, so they are late this year. I'm sure they will be on there way up to you all soon!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,149
    So looking forward to seeing them ... thanks for the progress report  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    Hopefully this will help the birds. I really can’t believe people want to eat ‘ a plate of song birds’ 
    https://www.forces.net/news/songbirds-illegally-killed-uk-base-falls-70
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    Saw our first swallows yesterday, early afternoon, and our first hoopoe yesterday late afternoon.  We're a bit further up than Floralies.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,166
    We have noticed a decline in birds and insects here in the last couple of years since our neighbour who was a cattle farmer retired and sold his cows. His fields are now rented out to another farmer who has ploughed them up for rapeseed. The set aside scheme ended here a few years ago allowing the farmers to destroy trees and hedgerows. They also love their pesticides here. I really do fear for the eco system here.
    Why do I keep getting loads of edits after I have posted?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,149
    floralies said:
    Why do I keep getting loads of edits after I have posted?
    It's a glitch ... Nora is aware and it's on the To Do List  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• A few swallows have been seen here in the past day or two - so they will be heading up to the S.W. U.K. very soon.
    Thanks Dove, I wondered if  I was doing/not doing something !