Forum home Problem solving

Frost damage to plants

The 'Beast from the East' has taken it's toll on two plants in my garden. The Euryops looks as if it will never recover and the Myrtus communis has about half of it's leaves affected. I am unsure if I should cut them back now or wait a while to see if they recover. Anyone with the same problem?n

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Your Euryops do look like they’ve had it. But you can wait a bit more to see if there’s new growth around the bottom. They are usually quite tough plants even though they are tender, but it might be the wet that has damaged them. 

The Myrtle looks like it will need a light prune to tidy out the damaged leaves and branches. Depending on your location, you can do that now or wait a few more weeks when the weather (hopefully) starts to warm up.
  • Thank you, I think I will wait a while to see what  happens. We have had the worst winter, here in Essex, for many a year. Everything so far is at least a month late flowering. I keep  a diary of what is in bloom and some things were in flower early March last year but have not shown blossom yet.
    Fingers crossed that the Beast doesn't return!
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    My Myrtle does that from time to time because it doesn't like the wind but it always recovers. I am mourning some of my Agapanthus which I grew from seed about 25 years ago. I have moved them, divided them, given away chunks and enjoyed them every summer. But most of them are dead.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    We are opposite the South Downs, 10 minutes from the sea, the first snow, we had -12d 2 nights running, and -6 in the day (yup, that was when the heating broke down!) never been heard of here, tidying up front garden yesterday, 2 Hardy Osteopermum have copped it, and one scented pelargonium, yes, I know they arent hardy, they have been outside for several years in pots south facing next to the bungalow.  I have made cuttings, they were originally left out accidentally, they were rather woody.