Forum home Garden design

If you have reliable automatic vents on your greenhouse, who makes them and how old are they?

It's hard to know which to choose, because I don't know which will stand the tests of time. I'm happy to pay extra for something that anyone has tried and tested and is happy with.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568
    I have, they came as part of the Rhino GH kit. 12 years, no problems yet
  • elderberryelderberry Posts: 112
    nutcutlet said:
    I have, they came as part of the Rhino GH kit. 12 years, no problems yet
    Is it like this one?

https://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/products/automatic-roof-vent-opener/c-24/p-19732

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568
    More or less, maybe slightly updated. greenhousesdirect is where everything came from
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,197
    My older greenhouse has a very cheap one bought in Argos which has worked for many years. My newer one has the ones that came with it (greenhouse people) and also no problems so far but it hasn't been in for very long.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,676
    5 years. Robinson greenhouse from greenhousesdirect. All working well. 
  • David WDavid W Posts: 84
    We have a Bayliss in ours, came with the greenhouse, still working fine after 10 years or more. My father has one in his greenhouse still working after 30 plus years.

Cheers
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Mine also Bayliss, both on the 30y old gh and my new Rhino.  The only thing I would add is to look for models with metal clamps (like the one in your photo) where it attaches to the vent frame and vent.  I find the plastic clamps are difficult to tighten and had one slip off an 'XL' this winter.  The adjuster on the XL is also plastic and quite stiff, so I'll go for the slightly more expensive 'MK 7 standard' next time.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045
    i've had 2 Bayliss vents in 15 years and due to buy another. All vents have leaked after a period of 5 years. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller