Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frogspawn

Hi all, just a quickie. I have a helluva lot of the above in my wildlife pond, no fish.
I have 2 submersible pumps coming on at various times, then I suddenly wondered if I should leave them off when they hatch, if that's the word?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    I didn’t think pumps were a good idea for a wild life pond.  Don’t they suck tiny tads into the filter.
    why do you need pumps if you haven’t got fish I wonder? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384

I would leave the pumps off during hatching season.

I fished a load of toad spawn out of the swimming pool today (I live in SW France) and put it in my pond.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I don't have any weed in my pond and a local fish and pet shop said that a pump would help aerate the water for the tads to breathe.... Mine is about the tiniest pump you can get... Was it wrong advice?
  • gsdfandfgsdfandf Posts: 98
    Lyn said:
    I didn’t think pumps were a good idea for a wild life pond.  Don’t they suck tiny tads into the filter.
    why do you need pumps if you haven’t got fish I wonder? 
    Hence my question.

Wildlife pond it is, but a subtle waterfall & small fountain add to the scene. As regards the fish, I passed those on to a friend, because they were always at the bottom of the pond, deepest area being 4ft, so weren't too sociable.
    I have added further fine filters to the suction of each pump, but still thought it a relevant question. 
  • skippy59skippy59 Posts: 7
    Mine have all hatched last month ,could you not get some pond plants a.s.a.p ? I wouldn't use a pump .
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    Tadpoles eat the weed in my pond. What do you feed yours on Fire?  
    Couldnt  you get a nice lot of weed growing, tads as young frogs love hiding in amongst it.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

A friend just gave me some tads as she was going away (long story). I don't have any weed in my pond and am concerned about the water being aerated enough for the tads. I am currently feeding them small amounts of fish food, as recommended by my local aquarium shop.
  • kathie51dkathie51d Posts: 100
    Noticed yesterday a squirming mass of baby tads in the wildlife pond. I had divided the spawn from the front pond as the fish finish it all off (share a little happiness) there are no preditors as far as I know in the wild pond unless newts take a fancy to them. I tend to leave the pump off at this time and pond has weed and is getting plenty of aeration with the gallons of b..... rainfall. Cannot wait until the yellow Iris grow up and bud and the water lilies flower then hope the dragon flies and damsons return. Although with this awful weather (yesterday it felt like spring at last and look at it today!!!!) no wonder nothing wants to put on much growth. The OH is moaning daily about his veg planting going to pot so banned him to the greenhouse to potter. Managed to buy BOGOF on 8 lovely Helleborus plants just want nice weather to dig them in. 

This is the time for hellebore bargains, no doubt.