Forum home Plants

Hebe Frozen Flame

My two Hebes I bought last year have turned brown....anyone help please ?

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Oh dear, they don't look good, do they. I would leave them alone for a while and watch to see if new growth starts from the base, but hebes are quite tender and this horrible winter may have been too much. If they recover, or if you replace them, try to bring them into a cold greenhouse or a sheltered porch next winter to protect them, especially from cold winds and frost.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    The Hebes are either very damaged by either heavy frost or snow. Or, they have not been watered consistently during the autumn time leading up to winter. Do you have it under a porch? If so, they need to be out in the sun.

On the top photo, I think I can see signs of life at the bottom right part of shrub. It's still quite cold at the moment, I suggest you wait a bit more and keep an eye on the shrubs to see if there are new growth appearing. If it does, it will be further back inside the shrub. From late April onwards, you can start pruning off the dried up dead growth. Be warned that they may take some time to rejuvenate if they have survived.