Forum home Problem solving

Lawn damage- leather jackets?

Hi, 

One of my regular customers has had trouble with her lawn - is it leather jacket damage? The brown patches are spreading by the day, it looks pretty awful! 

How would I remedy the issue?

Thank you :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,243
    It could well be leatherjackets ... I would apply the appropriate nematodes as soon as the soil temperature is warm enough. 

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/12-leatherjacket-killer-nematodes 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,288
    edited April 2018
    I can't quite remember but I think you can water the lawn first then lay a plastic sheet on the lawn and leave it over night, the leather jackets should be on the surface of the lawn by morning. 
  • Megan4Megan4 Posts: 14
    Thank you for all your replies. The grass did pull away quite easily, but I didn't think to cut the turf to check for grubs. I'm not convinced it was frost damage, we did have some snow, but the damage occured well after that. Either way, my client has arranged for green thumb to come take a look and treat it, bit annoying as it's something I could have done myself!
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Green Thumb will use chemicals, not nematodes. This is less environmentally friendly but also cheaper......