Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

KT53KT53 Posts: 6,465

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,518
    Lesser celandine ... Ranunculas verna ... can be invasive but I love seeing its smiling face in the first spring sunshine.  It disappears by the summer.

http://www.online-literature.com/wordsworth/517/

If you need to control it, info here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=187 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,382
    I agree.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,398
    Ficaria verna  :)
    Oh 'eck Nut, you're more up to date than I am

"Ficaria verna, (formerly Ranunculus ficaria L.) commonly known as lesser celandine or pilewort..." Wiki
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,398
     :D 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,465
    Thanks.  Are they both the same plant because the leaf is different.  The top one is more arrow shaped and variegated.  Just variants?
    Keeping it under control won't be a problem as they are in raised beds.  It's nice to see some colour at this time of year.
    Both the same ... there is commonly some variation ... sometimes the petals are narrower too. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Mine have the heart shaped leaves but no variegation (the sun(!) is causing some shine from the leaves):

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.