Forum home Wildlife gardening

First cuckoo

ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,549
Spring is sprung!  The first cuckoo was heard this afternoon at about 6pm.   24 days earlier than the earliest call in our Belgian garden.

Not long now before the swallows and house-martins arrive.  Plenty of mud for them this year for nest building but not so many insects yet for feeding.   Might have to buy some cheap bedding plants to encourage them.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Gawd, I've only just heard the first chiffchaff in our garden.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,549
    No idea when it's normal for them to arrive here.  Forgot to record it last year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I've never heard them before early May. And I haven't heard one for four or five years now :(
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,378
    Snap Obelixx! I heard the first one here too on Sunday. Usually I hear one around daughter's birthday on 21st March.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,120
    If I hear them the first one is usually around 11/12 April ... haven't heard one yet this year ... don't always hear them here ... we usually have to go for a walk further out into the countryside. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,490
    We haven't heard a cuckoo for years unfortunately but to our delight saw a thrush in the garden this morning - unmistakable. Not seen one for years.
  • What about this old song?  a cuckoo calling...........

In April - I open my bill.

In May - I sing night and day.

In June - I change my tune.

In July - Away I fly.

In August - Away I must!

edited April 2018
    Hello HCF.  Good to see you!

Lizzie - we had cuckoos every year in Belgium and they would arrive late April, early May.  I can't remember when we heard the first one here last year but given the very wet and cold start to the year I was surprised to hear one on the 1st, early evening.  Haven't heard him yet today tho.

Other than fieldfares, we've seen no thrushes for years.
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433
    We saw the first cuckoo on Sunday.
    It wasn't calling, just sitting up in the tree.
    It's a bit early as we normally get them arrive a little later in the month.
    Traditionally, cuckoos start calling on St. Tiburtius' Day (April 14th).
    The BTO satellite-tag cuckoos and you can track where they are online, which is interesting.
    https://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
    First swallows spotted today and the frogs are in full mating voice in the ponds about 1km away.