Forum home Problem solving

Problem Plant

TheNoviceGardenerTheNoviceGardener Norfolk. EnglandPosts: 11
Could someone please tell me the name of this plant and what is wrong with it? I have just sprayed it with Bayer Fungicide Plus to try and stop problem Thank you.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Looks like a choisya.  Can't see any fungus, why did you spray it?

Q: What's wrong with it?... If you mean the brown bits, they're probably dead/damaged leaves.  Simply prune them out.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852
    edited April 2018
    Choisya ternata, probably cold damage, or maybe a broken branch in there somewhere Badly pruned to a blob,  best pruned back to a bud or pair of buds rather than shorten all round
    try and avoid the chemicals
  • TheNoviceGardenerTheNoviceGardener Norfolk. EnglandPosts: 11
    Something I inherited when bought property. I used a spray as I was advised to, will this have damaged it? There is one branch which is dead so I will cut this out but other brown leaves are random over the plant. Up until recently no brown leaves and I believe it was pruned in September/October. Was damage due to cold??? Also when is and how is it best to prune this. Thank you.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852
    I would prune after flowering which is usually about April May but probably later this year. I think the mis-timed pruning hasn't helped. Give it a chance, sprays and prunings are much talked about but plants grew well before man started interfering
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Yes, probably damage from the cold.  I had one, rarely pruned it other than to take out the odd dead branch or ones getting too long. As nut said, prune back to a pair of healthy buds and you should be rewarded by fresh new growth.

My "helpful neighbour" leaned over the low front fence and lollypopped mine with electric hedge trimmers one summer. I couldn't bear to look at it after that and chopped it down.
  • TheNoviceGardenerTheNoviceGardener Norfolk. EnglandPosts: 11
    Ok thank you both. Am sure there will be alot more questions to follow!