Spitting Feathers

Gardeners World has only recently started back on the television. And already it will not be on next week, for all things the women's football. Gardeners World is only a half hour programme at the moment, but I know thankfully in April it will be an hour long. It does annoy me that something that we all love, has to be taken off air for a week or two for sport. Is there not enough sporting programmes on at the moment as it is. And why can they not but the sport on a different channel!!!!!

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 827
    The will of the majority :smile:

Just to make you spit a little more, I read somewhere that the BBC is taking a long hard look at minority-interest programs (gardening was one example given) with a view to deciding whether or not to keep on making them. I wonder what percentage of the population garden? Are we really a minority?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,463
    My guess is that far more people garden than watch women's football.
    The BBC have a "phone log" of every subject upon which they receive phone calls. This log is discussed regularly. No amount of petitions and on line moaning will give them our anger, but call them, speak to the nice people at the end of the phone and tell them you're fed up. 
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,940
    They have to give women's football more coverage in the name of equality!  Women's football is growing massively at grass roots level (excuse the pun) but I certainly don't find it good to watch.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,231
    Let them swap out some men's football then!   Or ditch some of the antique programmes.  How many roadshows, bargain hunts and flog it's do we need in any given week?  They can't be cheaper to make than gardening programmes surely?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,463
    how about moving all the sport to BBC3?
    Devon.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 827
    Obelixx said:
    They can't be cheaper to make than gardening programmes surely?
    An interesting question. And no doubt one that the BBC will take into account if they are considering cutting back on "minority" interest programs. So, just how expensive are gardening programs? Anybody in the industry?

But as the old saying has it, "if you suffer in silence, then you suffer". @Hostafan1 pointed the way in his comment above - "speak to the nice people at the end of the phone and tell them you're fed up".

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,599
    My understanding is that generally speaking the younger generation watch programmes on Netflix etc. The BBC moved BBC 3 online. I would have thought that the people watching "conventional television" were more likely to be interested in gardening etc. Not trying to stereotype, honest. The Beeb seem obsessed with chasing the younger demographic, but times have changed.
  • paul_in_surreypaul_in_surrey Posts: 239
    Compare the amount of gardening shows on the BBC with the amount of cookery shows. If people doing things bore any relation to people watching things we would be revered around the world for our cuisine. Still haven't forgiven cooking shows for killing Saturday morning kids TV. Also, why do you think the BBC shows so much snooker, when all research says it has dwindled to virtually non-existent levels of interest. I still love the BBC, but over the last few years in trying to be everything to everyone it has become quantity over quality - with notable exceptions of course.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,231
    Saturday kids' TV has moved to CBeebies surely?  A whole channel for them!

Possum is 23 and has Beeb available on her Belgian cable subscription but only ever watches Netflix tho happily watches Beeb cookery and documentaries and thrillers and so on with us when here.  Not gardening tho.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • paul_in_surreypaul_in_surrey Posts: 239
    edited April 2018
    I appreciate that a venn diagram of gardeners and cooks probably has a sizable overlap, and as such I'm on extremely shaky ground, but before the James Martin Saturday take over (re-branded on the 3-hour Sunday repeat as 'Best Bits') and probably quite a long time before, Saturdays were the bastion of live kids TV - Swap Shop vs Tiswas, etc. Now it's all been shifted to exclusive channels CBBC shows predominantly Tracy Beaker re-runs and CITV shows Pokemon cartoons on a Saturday morning. CBeebies is for the little ones, but to be honest is probably the most watchable.

Disclaimer - as I go to parkrun on Saturday mornings any relation of the above to the true situation is purely coincidental and at best 10 years out of date, but I've fnished my seed sowing and am a little bored until the rugby starts.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill