Thinking of getting a greenhouse

i am thinking of 8x6 ft size, and just want suggestions on what I should look for

any suggestions appreciated

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,235
    look on freecycle. You  might get one free.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,582
    A lot depends on what you want to use your greenhouse for ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038
    Agree, depends on whether (for example) you will be heating it.  If buying new then at 8x6, I would say you need 2 roof vents and 2 louvres.  If smaller, then you can get away with one of each and if larger you ideally need 3 of each to prevent cooking your plants.  If there are children, large pets or if anyone using it is a bit unsteady on their feet then get toughened glass.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,168
    Get the biggest you can afford and accommodate.  You'll be surprised how quickly they fill up.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • seakaleseakale Posts: 113
    What do others use their greenhouses for?  What plants, Veges, plugplants, seed sowing etc

i have a cold frame for. Over wintering the pelargoniums, they look very sorry this year due to the cold winter, and I start the dahlias off in the cold frame.  Perhaps I ll be better off with another cold frame and a mini 4 shelf grow box.

how about GW giving instructions on how to make a cold frame?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,168
    Get yourself the DVD and/or book of Geoff Hamilton's Ornamental Kitchen Garden.  Instructions for all sorts in there plus what to do with a greenhouse from protecting tender plants over winter to sowing seeds, growing on seedlings and growing tender crops.

You can find the DVD on sale with his Cottage Garden and Paradise Garden series too and the books often turn up in charity shops.   Libraries will have them too.   Full of great, practical advice that works.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,472
    GW give lots of instructions on how to make a cold frame.

Let me Google that for you

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    People think they would like a greenhouse for many reasons and as its a long term investment with repairs and cleaning and maintenance like marriage they should not be taken on lightly !!
    A chap with mobile phones and a BMW arrived on his new allotment plot erected a 6 x 4 foot greenhouse , it blew over in the gales and we have not seen him again.

A GH is a means to an end to assist in growing veg that needs heat and more TLC than a bare plot.

If you let us know what you want from a GH we can gladly help.
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • seakaleseakale Posts: 113
    I usually sow to tomatoes, french and runner beans, courgettes, cosmos, in trays on window sills.

once hardened off into the soil they go.  I start the dahlias and begonias off in the same way, as I like to take dahlia cuttings.

I don’t know what t it is, but but the thrill of sowing seeds and watching the the seedlings come up, nothing beats it.

As long as we buy plants grown in the uk I think we will be ok.  I just wanted to know what others used their greenhouse for in order to make a choice

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038
    As you know, potting seedlings on takes up a lot of room and you soon run out of windowsill space!  Greenhouses are ideal for growing-on small plants so I would recommend adding some staging if you get a GH.  They are invaluable when the weather doesn't live up to expectations too, allowing you to delay planting out until conditions are right.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.