Clemetis seeds. What’s other people’s experience of growing from seed.

I have just sown my first clemetis seeds. I find that I am inspecting them every day to make sure that I don’t miss that exiting moment of seeing the first seedling emerge. But, realistically, how long am I going to have to wait for this magical moment? Would a bit of bottom heat help? Or should I pop them in the fridge for a couple of weeks to trick them into thinking winter is over? At the moment they are residing in a cold frame being impatiently watched over by me. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,207
    Calling Richard Hodson.........
    Is he still around?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,882
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088
    I've always sowed fresh and left cold and they germinate in Spring but I remember Richard saying he uses heat
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257
    I left mine as you said Nut, those you sent me. They germinated. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thankyou for your replies, I think I had best just be patient and leave them where they are.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,280
    Cilla, as others have hinted, you may have to wait a while.  I sowed about 6 varieties last spring but only had 2 or 3 seedlings appear over the rest of the year so I left them outside in a fairly sheltered spot over winter and can today see more than a dozen new shoots coming up through the grit.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    I haven't had a lot of luck growing clematis from seed, much more success from cuttings.

Good luck :)
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088
    Daisy33 said:
    I haven't had a lot of luck growing clematis from seed, much more success from cuttings.

Good luck :)
    I'm just the opposite daisy, and not just for clems. I can germinate seeds but my cuttings all die
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,280
    Bottom heat works great for cuttings, nut.  I prefer seeds as you never know what you are going to get! :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    Funny old thing this gardening lark, nut. :)